The Comal Quarry
We are committed to investing in the future of Comal County and operating in a safe, socially and environmentally responsible manner. Our construction aggregates help grow and sustain communities, going into roads, bridges, residential and commercial buildings, schools, hospitals and places of worship.
Located in one of the fastest growing large counties in the nation, the Comal Quarry is strategically positioned along Highway 46 to responsibly support the local economy and meet the growing community needs, including infrastructure and transportation safety improvements.
Set on 1,500 acres, the project is uniquely designed to fit within the existing landscape and topography, including 600+ acres of buffer, setbacks and non-mining areas. We expect to mine only about 50 acres in the first 10 years, and it will take up to 80 years to reach completion.
We will protect and conserve water resources: Rock will be extracted from the upper surface above the aquifer water table; water will be recycled; and Trinity Aquifer water usage will be far less than a residential subdivision use. We are committed to working with our neighbors, answering questions and being a responsible member of the community.
Vulcan Materials Company
We’re no stranger to Texas or Comal County. We currently operate 15 quarries and several other facilities in Texas, and we've been operating in the San Antonia area since the 1970s.
Through the years, Vulcan has supplied product to nearly 200 customers in Comal County. Vulcan purchased more than $1.73 million in goods and services from Comal County-based businesses in 2016. We also contract with nearly 20 local vendors, supporting jobs and adding to household income.
We are committed to investing in Comal County by creating and supporting jobs and economic opportunity while operating in a safe, reliable, and environmentally responsible manner.
We help support and sustain communities.
Vulcan Materials Company is the nation’s largest producer of construction aggregates and a major producer of aggregates-based construction materials. An industry leader in safety, health, and environmental stewardship, Vulcan’s coast-to-coast footprint aligns with and serves the nation’s growth centers. Through the company’s extensive logistics network, Vulcan provides materials to build and repair valuable infrastructure such as roads, bridges, residential and commercial buildings, schools, hospitals and places of worship. Learn more at csr.vulcanmaterials.com.
COMMITTED TO COMAL COUNTY
Located in one of the fastest growing large counties in the nation, the Comal County site is strategically positioned along Highway 46 to responsibly support the local economy and meet the growing community needs, including infrastructure and transportation safety improvements.
- 1,500-acre property
- 600+ acres of buffer, setbacks and non-mining areas
- 40% will not be mined
STRENGTHENING THE COMMUNITY
We are committed to serving as a responsible neighbor and building meaningful and lasting relationships with the community through involvement in schools and a variety of charitable and civic organizations.
- Maintain a 24/7 community line to respond to questions or concerns.
- Participate in community events and support local organizations, including community and civic groups.
- Develop education partnerships to support student learning.
- Partner with local contractors, establish vendor relationships and provide economic opportunities.
A RESPONSIBLE STEWARD OF THE ENVIRONMENT
Through many decades of business operation, Vulcan has established a strong record of environmental stewardship and will operate The Comal Quarry in an environmentally responsible manner that meets or exceeds local, state and federal regulations.
- Establish 600+ acres of buffer, setbacks, non-mining areas and natural landscape, accounting for more than 40 percent of the property.
- Meet or exceed regulations and guidelines established by local, state and federal laws and regulatory agencies.
- Protect air quality by following requirements to ensure emissions meet best available control technologies and are protective of public health.
- Preserve and protect local water resources, aquifers and wells, recycle water, manage stormwater and utilize effective dust-control measures.
- Maintain landscaped and vegetated buffers and paved entrance.
DEDICATED TO SAFETY
Protecting the safety and health of our employees and the surrounding community is Vulcan’s highest priority.
- Provide employees with a safe and healthy work environment
- Conduct frequent and regular reviews of safety practices to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Manage our operations in harmony with our neighbors
- Work with TxDOT to implement FM 3009 road improvements near the entrance to better ensure safety and traffic flow.
- Vulcan will manage blasting at levels that have been proven to protect the health and safety of its employees and neighbors and the integrity of surrounding structures.